Filed under: General Peevery, Parenting | Tags: annoying, budget, children, cleaning lady, drive me up the wall, glee, gleek, grating, housecleaning, kidney for sale, nervous breakdown, parenting, peeve, pet peeves, sarcastic, vent, why does the dentist give you your teeth
It’s not that I don’t like cleaning. It’s that I loathe it. I have texture issues that prevent me from wanting to touch anything that has been sitting in the sink longer than 30 seconds. I’m deathly allergic to dust. I have a not-so-mild case of ADD mixed with OCD. So, I will start cleaning the living room and three hours later, my DVDs will be arranged categorically and alphabetically and the rest of the house will still look like a bomb went off.
Every night when I see the first star in the sky, I close my eyes tight and whisper, “star light, star bright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight… I wish for… a cleaning lady.”
Well, Princess Tiana, I’m not.
I’m left winded and disappointed every time.
With no fairy godmothers showing up to my parties, my adventures in housekeeping leave me pleading to my husband to let someone else come over and do the work. My husband is the type that works more than full-time and still wanted to build the backyard playset for the children from scratch. You can guess what his response was.
Then, there is the issue of budget. Nowadays, everyone is on a budget. Cutting back, getting out of debt, preparing for the future… In order to justify the expense of a cleaning lady, I would need to to some serious cutting back in other areas. Hmm… TV/Cable? No way. Glee just had it’s premiere tonight. And, Survivor: Nicaragua is pretty rockin’ so far. Cell phone? Dream on. That iphone is my woobie. I literally sleep with it in my hand. Don’t even mention the word that starts with “sh” and ends with “oes.” So, what would I give up in order to get a cleaning lady?
1. THE DVD COLLECTION: Let’s start there. Because, really, how many times can my husband make me watch Gladiator and Braveheart? Unless it’s Grease or Dirty Dancing, it’s not worth watching over and over. And, those two are on TBS at least twice a month. So, we’re good.
2. MY FIRST BORN CHILD: What? You spend just thirty minutes in a mall with her and then we’ll talk. Besides, she’s the one making most of the messes.
3. MY PINKY TOES: What are they good for anyway? It’s not like the big toes that we need for balance. Sure, they wouldn’t fetch as much as a kidney, but a family like mine will drive you to drink. I’m going to need all the internal organs I can get later in life.
4. TEETH: I have 20 baby teeth and two adult molars I could hock. Baby teeth fetch a pretty penny these days. Come to think of it, Smalls will be losing hers soon anyway… we could make that 40. And, I have to assume that molars are worth something. Why else would the dentist give them to you after he yanks them out of your mouth?
5. SOCKS. I have at least 10 socks. They could be re-knitted into a sweater or something. So what if none of them match? I’m sure I’ll find the mates as soon as I get rid of them.
6. FOOD. Tons of it. All stuffed in my kitchen cabinets. I have no use for it. I can replace it all with Ramen Noodles and Birdseye Steamers because, really, that’s all I know how to cook.
No? Okay! Fine! I’ll sell the kidney. If I need one when I’m old, well, that’s what kids are for, right?
11 Comments so far
Leave a comment